Sunday, February 26, 2012

Neighborhood Baby Shower

I don't know why, but I almost feel "embarassed" but very grateful and humble to say that our neighbors, who we have only really known since September last year, threw me and Baby Boy a baby shower. And what a shower it was. Perhaps I feel this way because I feel like I don't deserve this. I was telling one of the girls from church about the love that Zev and I have felt living in Virginia and she aptly attributed it to the Body of Christ. We have seriously been so overwhelmed and enveloped by amazing neighbors and friends who showed us their care and love for us yesterday at the "Neighborhood Baby Shower." And I say "Neighborhood" because (and again, I feel so overwhelmed and humbled just writing this), but our Sunday School class is throwing a shower for me in a few weeks and our family in upstate NY is throwing a "Skype" shower for me next weekend! Zev and I were seriously planning in just getting all the baby stuff ourselves. Really, when one thinks about it, you need a few basic things to take care of a newborn baby, but the beautiful, handmade things that we have received will be treasured by us forever. Maybe even for our next baby, God willing! We received beautiful gifts that are practical and will be put to good use, and I felt so loved and happy during the shower. I can't wait to put it all into the nursery and for us to meet our little son soon!
This picture above is of me with the wonderful hostesses, Micah and Robin. Zev used to work with Micah's husband, PJ in Germany, and we were thrilled when they got stationed here. Robin lives across the street from us and her husband and Zev have "bonded" over guns and hunting. That's what guys do I guess.
Aren't these babies beautiful? The little girl is Vivienne and she is Micah's daughter and the little boy, Brett is my friend Amber's son. Both are such good babies.
Micah organized some fun games for us to play.
There were 33 diapers in this vase. Newborn diapers of course :-) Natalie (who is due 20 days after I am) guessed the closest amount!
All the neighbors around us and in front of us came to the shower. I was amazed at the creativity of these ladies! My neighbor Roxane made this gorgeous woollen blanket, complete with a little Scottish Terrier (she breeds them) on the bottom right. Just gorgeous.
Baby Boy received lots of books. I actually registered for books. I pray that our son likes to read like his mummy and daddy do!
My neighbor Sandy made this "body bib" with the flags around the world (including Australia :-)
I loved that Micah tried to incorporate things from Australia as well as things that are unique and special to Zev and I, such as a nursery rhyme from my mother-in-law, Judy; a nursery rhyme from Peru, nursery rhymes from Germany and just neat stories from family and friends. I am going to put everything together into a book for our boy.

Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 1 Cor 12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweet Fi you are so humble but so deserving of all the love you receieve.