Thursday, November 03, 2011

Perspective

This morning I went walking with a new friend that I made (she lives around the corner from us and we originally met at that college football game Zev and I went to a few weeks ago and then I ran into her at the Y and she told me about this awesome trail through the woods, which we walked this morning. It WAS awesome too. 14 bridges over lakes and through beautiful woodsy areas.)

Anyway, so her name is Maria and she volunteers at the local Food Bank. I love walking because you can talk and learn about the other person a lot. Well while we were walking, I asked questions about the Food Bank, like who goes there to get food (apparently all walks of life and people who would surprise you) and what kind of foods they accept (everything- usually stuff donated from supermarkets like baked goods that are past their due date or canned goods and sometimes produce). The way that Maria was describing the Food Bank really intrigued me; the fact that the number of people they are feeding has dramatically increased since last year is a reflection of our ecomony I think. A lot more people are out of work and having to feed a family on low or no income, especially during the Christmas season is hard.
I see little signs to donate canned goods here or there all over town and sometimes we do it; bring a canned good to an event or donate clothes and things. But the fact that there truly is real poverty and people that literally can't afford to go buy groceries at the end of the month pains my heart. It especially pained my heart to hear that a lot of young airmen and their families receive a care package from the Food Bank when they first arrive in the area.  The Air Force gives us an allowance to move, but sometimes that comes in later and when you need to live out of a hotel for a few weeks, meals for a family can really add up.
I am going to a Spouses Luncheon next week that is one of those "Bring a Non Perishable Item" events and it puts different spin on things when I contemplate that there is someone out there that will really appreciate the food they are receiving. Especially during Thanksgiving. The Y is also doing a program where you can drop off a bag of groceries for families in need. Anyway, this is just my (random!) thought for the day. I am so grateful for our blessings. God has abundantly blessed us. I want to give some of these blessings back to God and to serve His people and share His love on earth.
Hope you have a great day!
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22,23  

No comments: