Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Fabulous Flowers and Auntie Gladys' special recipe

Today was one of those days that starts out bad but ends well. Aren't those the best sorts of days to have? My day didn't start off well because Zev was out of town yesterday and today (he gets back late tonight, thank goodness!) and I didn't sleep the best without him by my side. I have a lot of work to do to keep me busy which is good and so I plugged away at my cases today, but it just wasn't the same without Zev. Well, after running some errands, I came home and heard a knock on the door and opened the door to receive these gorgeous flowers for me!!
They were sent to me by Zev! When I called him to thank him, I asked him why he had sent these gorgeous flowers; it wasn't a special occasion after all! You know what Zev said? He said that he had sent them to me because he missed me and because he had left his pregnant wife at home by herself. I love this man. My day got instantly better by like 110%. Tonight the Spouses group on base had their monthly Gourmet Club get together and the theme was Spanish dishes, and since my background is Peruvian and Uruguayan and I saw a recipe for Arroz con Leche (rice with milk) in a Spanish cookbook, I decided to use one of my family recipes to make Arroz con Leche! Auntie Gladys has always made the best Arroz con Leche hands down so I pulled out her recipe and made it. The secret (as Auntie Gladys reminded me last week) is to watch the rice very carefully. Just like a risotto. You leave for one minute and the rice will burn in the pan. Well she was right. I just kept stirring and then, per her instructions, once everything was cooked, I popped the dish in the fridge to chill it down.
Auntie Gladys, thank you for your recipe and for your special tips on how to make this work. It was a real hit at the dinner tonight and I only had one portion to bring home to Zev!!
The lady who hosted the Spanish themed gourmet night had a gorgeous house which was totally designed in a Spanish style. It really was so pretty, complete with a Spanish water fountain out the front and Spanish decor inside. And she has never been to Spain or South America! Here is the hostess making paella!
I got to catch up with some lovely ladies who have become my friends; Natalie and Olinda.
One of the most ironic things about being pregnant is that I don't seem to have "room" for food as much as before!? Isn't that funny!? I seem to feel "fuller" sooner which is probably a good thing. I am eating the same as I was before in terms of quantity, but I have always had a healthy appetite. The biggest difference is that I don't care for sweets as much anymore; bring on the savoury!

It is amazing to me how a day can turn brighter by the act of someone else. I hope I can "pay it forward" tomorrow and the next day and bring a smile to someone's face and make them feel special. Maybe that next person is going to be you!

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back later; I'll give it to you tomorrow"- when you now have it with you.

Proverbs 3: 27-28.

No comments: