Sunday, March 27, 2011

Study break....and a cake

What do you do when your husband is at work on a Sunday and you want to take a study break and there is NO food in the house (I was meant go shopping on base after church today but my car wouldn´t start (batteries) so I went to the local German church instead and now I am working on my thesis.)
 There´s still no food.....
You make cake of course!! All we had left in our pantry, in terms of cake mixes, was Betty Crocker´s Yellow Cake Mix. I had heard once that you can make a "Pineapple Upside Down" cake using yellow cake mix, and well, pineapples.
I remembered that I had bought some canned pineapples at the Commissary a while ago (I forget what recipe I was planning to use them in), and there they were, still on the shelf.
Thanks to Google, I found a quote unquote "Easy Upside Down Pineapple Cake" recipe (remember, this is meant to be a study break so I couldn´t spend too long making this) and I got to work.
The entire process took me 15 minutes. Best study break ever. And it is all for a "good cause." Zev will take the cakes to work tomorrow and be the man of the hour.
And I got to lick the bowl.

Here is the recipe. I found it on cooksrecipes (dot) com. Obviously, I had to improvise, as I had dark instead of light brown sugar, I had chopped instead of sliced pineapples and I had no maraschino cherries. I am sure the boys will still like it though.

Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
1 (9-ounce) package yellow cake mix (such as Betty Crocker)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine or butter
1 (14.5-ounce) can pineapple slices
Maraschino cherries

Mix yellow cake mix as directed on package, using juice from pineapple instead of water, add water to make up necessary amount called for, if needed.

Melt butter and brown sugar over low heat in a large 10-inch pan or iron skillet.

Place pineapple rings onto butter/brown sugar mixture in pan, and put cherries in rings. Pour cake batter on top.

Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour. Let stand for 5 minutes and flip over onto a large cake plate.

Makes one (10-inch) cake.


The cakes didn´t turn out as pretty as I would have liked to see them, but I think they will still taste good. Maybe I will make a frosting and stick them together to make one big cake? We´ll see what Zev says. Have a good start to your week!
Fi

No comments: